A deadly cobras attack has killed at least nine people and injured dozens more at an upscale Paris apartment complex, officials said Tuesday.
The death toll was expected to rise as the city searches for the source of the deadly attacks, and authorities have not yet confirmed the nature of the injuries.
“A total of nine people were killed, three of them seriously,” Interior Minister Bruno Le Roux told reporters.
“One person was killed and one injured.”
Authorities say the attack began with an attack on the second-floor apartment of a hotel near Notre Dame cathedral and was followed by multiple other attacks.
The mayor of the town of Boulogne-Billancourt, Marie-Evelyne Boulanger, said there were “multiple terrorist incidents” and that the building was targeted by “multiple terrorists.”
“It was a terrible event,” she said.
“It happened in the middle of a residential area, so it was not a place for people to relax.”
Paris Mayor Anne Hidalgo told reporters that two people had been arrested in connection with the attacks, which were claimed by the Islamic State group.
“We can say that it’s very difficult to identify who was behind the attacks,” she told reporters in a phone interview.
“The only thing that we know for certain is that they had weapons and were in the building.”
Police are trying to determine who the attackers were.
“There were no known links to terrorist organizations, but there were indications that they were involved in terrorist activity,” Boulangres said.
Officials believe the attacks were not random and that they are likely the work of “the same group” as the previous attack on Bastille Day.
The attacks came as the French capital is under lockdown amid the deadliest attack on French soil since World War II.
France has been on high alert since the attacks on the Paris offices of the satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo and a kosher supermarket in November 2015 that left 13 dead and more than 300 injured.
A French military plane was flying over Paris on Tuesday, according to a local radio station, to monitor security.
The Paris prosecutor’s office said the attack was “unprecedented.”
“We have never experienced this kind of violence in the history of France,” Interior Ministry spokesman Martin Baudon told reporters on Tuesday.
“This is a very significant moment for the whole country, a moment of shock and sorrow.”
Authorities were also looking for two suspects, the prosecutor’s statement said.
The attack comes after an explosion at a kosher grocery store in the French city of Marseille, where people were waiting to buy a box of kosher food.
Authorities said the explosion occurred just after 1 a.m. local time.
The attacker entered the supermarket with a pipe bomb and killed four people and wounded 15 others, police said.
A police source told Reuters news agency that two of the victims were French.
The two injured victims were identified as Jean-Pierre and Jean-Claude Vermaux, a rabbi and a former French president, respectively.
The supermarket explosion came a day after a bomb ripped through a Jewish supermarket in Brussels, killing at least 32 people and wounding more than 250 others.